Wednesday, June 9, 2010 | 2:00 PM
Today we are launching two brand new services for the DFP API - the ReportService and the ForecastService. The goal of these two services is to enable you to gain a better understanding of the performance and the availability of your network.
- You schedule a sponsorship LineItem to run for the following month and you have guaranteed the customer that you will serve at least 100,000 impressions.
- You run getForecastById on that LineItem and discover that at the current unitsBought, the customer will only receive 80,000 impression, as returned by Forecast.forecastUnits.
- You then update the line item to a higher percentage and rerun getForecastById until you can successfully fulfill the guaranteed impression count.
The ForecastService also enables you to check if a potential line item will fulfill its requirements before it is booked. Imagine the following actions on taking place on a dashboard page:
- You fill out the dashboard for a LineItem with a set of initial estimates of the priority and duration to reach a guarantee to the customer of 5000 clicks.
- The dashboard would then call getForecast supplying the hypothetical line item that happens to be set to standard priority.
- Running getForecast on thatLineItem shows that the available clicks is only 4000, as returned by Forecast.availableUnits.
- You interpret this result as there are either competing line items of the same priority that can be adjusted, or you can book the line item anyways knowing that other line items with a lower priority may not meet their expectations.